martes, 8 de noviembre de 2011

DO WE CARE ABOUT BREATHING?

According to Erica Gómez Del Corral, an Argentinian anthropologist, feeding and breathing are the two vital biological functions for any organism. However, unlike oriental cultures, occidental cultures pay great importance to the first one dismissing the importance of breathing. Now it is not hard to agree with this since in our society everything goes around food: diets, physical exercises, specialists, ‘tips’ of every kind and source meeting of course the social demands for goods and services that aim at the perfection of the body. There is an outstanding need for people to become conscious about eating habits but what about breathing habits? Well this author states that not only breathing but learning to breathe properly is essential to keep our energetic as well as psych-physic balance. It is not enough just breathing. Oriental cultures make use of a method called ‘breathing consciously’ which provides the proper techniques to oxygenate the body thus improving performance at any level. This type of breathing brings various benefits: by providing the body with enough oxygen it helps it to carry out metabolic functions properly and satisfactorily. Breathing consciously also allows greater concentration bringing greater mental clarity. Moreover, it helps you gain more mental as well as emotional control. 
    The author provides the reader with various techniques but I want to share one in particular which is called ‘respiración completa’:
*      Put yourself in a comfortable position
*      Inhale through your nose, maintain the air and then release it through the nose but taking twice the time you take to inhale.
*      Do this exercise from 10 to 20 minutes.
This technique activates your blood flow, helps you calm down your mind and fosters your will. I have tried this one and it is really useful! Let’s see if it works for you… I think we need to devote time to our breathing so that we listen to our body and mind!  

5 comentarios:

  1. we really forget that we are breathing..we just do it because if not, we die! :)I going to give this technique a try, it will be really helpful for me now that I'm nervous because of the oral presentation!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. We have to reach a communion to our body, get to know it. The fast pace of life doesn't allow us to pay attention to our bodies' needs. Whenever I have some minutes I enjoy a moment of relaxation, and slow breathing.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Quite interesting Eli! I'm gonna give it a try! I really think it can be helpful to get rid of the stress.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Well, we know that people can survive without food for days, but a lack of oxygen for only a couple minutes will cause death. I read that without the proper oxygen flow throughout the entire body, your organs begin to operate less efficiently leading to health problems.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I've tried something similar and it really works. Breathing consciously is quite relaxing. It's great to do it before going to sleep, while listening to soft music like Vangelis!

    ResponderEliminar