miércoles, 12 de octubre de 2011


 Waiting for the capacity to think…

I happened to be zapping for some piece of news on telly in an attempt to give my brain activity a break when suddenly I was startled by one of those gossiping programs which was exposing the latest “advance” in women’s pursue of a proper role in society: showmatch got one of the dancers, don’t know the name, totally naked. Wow everybody on TV commenting on the poor girl’s insolent, audacious, cheeky, and so many adjectives more dance. What nobody knew this was going to happen?? Well I think you’ve seen some of this. Everybody, on TV and in the street, people around me saying: oh no change the channel because the baby is here!! ONLY after this girl showed her parts have people started to be careful with what their children see on TV!! The fact is that this show always gets the dancers almost naked, a now well what’s the difference? One tiny piece of clothing less than usual! For sure, they are making huge amounts of money otherwise they would have already shifted to another technique. This means that this program is just taking into account the social demands: people’s unlimited longing for coarseness in general.
Now going back into history, the role of women has always been dismissed and subordinated to men but not only because men have done everything in their power for this to happen but because we women have also contributed. Our society is more “machista” than anything but let’s not blame the male only. I feel I could never end bringing up examples of how women have contributed to our own present state of affairs. Just to mention one instance, I usually meet mothers complaining their sons do not help them with the housework “they are a disaster, untidy, dirty, etc.”…. “I am tired of making their beds, picking up and folding their clothes” while arranging everything for them!! Why don’t they let them do it by themselves?
So, women’s role along history have been related to household, child-care, cook, men’s property, and now “sexual objects”. I am waiting for a role based on our abilities to think for once in life…. Are we not as capable as men to think!! This new role is being supported by society…what now? Women teaching their sons to see other women as w____s??  what are we waiting to turn off the TV and get our children out to the open air I don’t to play with a ball, with the dog, to go to the little square around the corner, etc? There so many things to teach a child more than letting them see naked women…    

5 comentarios:

  1. I'm pretty sure this whole issue about this girl being naked while dancing was not an accident, but deliberately arranged in order to get the media talking about it. If it weren't for this tv programme, many others wouldn't even exist! (There is a programme called "Lo mejor de Showmatch" or something like that, so go figure...) I don't think people are really THAT alarmed about it. It's just that scandals and gossips sell, and I guess that tells a lot about ourselves...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I don't really understand why people make a big fuss about that girl, since the aim of that program is to show naked women. It's embarrassing!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Programs like "Showmatch" and the ones which make a profit out of it only contribute to the objectivization of women. And how things develop, it seems that things ain't gonna change for the better. Society asks for this kind of TV shows, we'll just have to put up with it.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. As Facu said, it is our society which asks for this type of programmes!! Nowadays we have “Showmatch” on TV and we complain that this is a load of rubbish, that people aren’t triggered to think, etc, etc.. but I think, this is the result of a slow process that started many years ago.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. rating, money, fame, more money...that's all..no matter the children, no matter the role of women..values and morality are on a second place..we can change it not watching these tv programmes

    ResponderEliminar